Thursday, August 16, 2012

Good Words & Grand Canyons

Word of mouth is more powerful than most people can imagine. People tend to trust what their peers say even if they don't share the same interests or beliefs.
Ive only ever heard what a sight the grand canyon is but perhaps I was a bit skeptical as to how "grand" a crevice in Arizona could really be. I suppose I'll contribute to preexisting word of mouth chatter and reinforce the statement that the grand canyon is indeed "grand." In fact, it's marvelous.
I would stare out into the depths of the canyon and try to understand what I was looking at. I closed my eyes as if to refocus my depth perception of what was in front of me but the same amazement took over when I reopened my eyes. Even after a 12 mile hike to Plateau Point overlooking the Colorado River I still felt a bit overwhelmed at where I was in the world.
I've come to realize that word of mouth is a very solid reason to take part in something. Bike and Build, for instance, attracted me because I had heard so many good things about it. Anybody who knew anybody that did B&B had something good to say about what an adventure it was and how life changing it had been. What it really boils down to is the question, "do I have faith in a strangers opinion? My answer appears to be "yes." it's not to say that I am a follower or that I'm ignorant to believe that strangers know what's best for me. More simply it is the reasoning, marvelous attractions evokes marvelous feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment