Saturday, June 2, 2012

Why?

     In 1924 British adventurer, George Mallory, was asked why he wanted to risk his life to climb the tallest mountain in the world. He replied, "because it's there." Some journey for glory or fame, some journey to exercise their fortitude. Perhaps these motivations live in the subconscious but, as for now, I'm just a curious young man amazed by the simple beauties in life.
     This June my journey will begin as I part ways with the New England coast and head west. For ten weeks I will be leading a group of 32 young adults on a cross-country cycling trip. Our mission is to help alleviate the affordable housing crisis in the United States by raising money and lending a hand to Habitat for Humanity build sites in various towns across the country. My goal is to raise $4,500 before the start of our trip. The majority of these funds will be donated to affordable housing organizations while a small portion covers the costs of a bike, food and fuel for our support van. I intend to use this blog as a means to keep followers updated on where I am in the world.
     This trip would not be possible if it weren't for the love and support I have received from my family and friends. In all my travels thus far the thing that keeps me motivated, and sane for that matter, is knowing that I have such a strong network of good people standing behind me. I can't tell you when I'll return, but I will tell you why I'm leaving to see the world. . . because it's there.

No comments:

Post a Comment