Sunday, March 3, 2013

A Hui Hou

Nearly six months ago I landed on the most remote island chain in the world. I met some incredible people and embarked on some incredible adventures. Literally everything about Hawaii blew my mind and still does. How can so much life spring up from what was once a lava rock in the middle of the ocean?! There is something very pure about that place. Of course it's riddled with non-natives and invasive species, but it's alive and thriving. You can't help but notice this raw energy exuded up from the porous volcanic rock and out through the trees. It's invigorating just to close your eyes and take a hit of Hawaiian air. Call me a tree hugger but at least these trees will hug you back.
Incase you haven't picked up on my change to the past tense, I've left Hawaii. Left my friends, left the jungle, left my cat and a farm full of animals, left my job(s), left my Thermarest and a pair of boat shoes, left some moldy bread in the cabinets (sorry boys!), left without saying goodbye to some and left without ever saying hello to others. Left it all behind, along with a piece of my heart.
Big shout out to Brotha Patrick for giving me a place to call home and for showing me what the aloha spirit is all about. Oh and uh, I'll see you at the five year there guy. Brotha Britton! You da man. Thanks for fostering such epic adventures. Maaaatt, you're hilarious and from Wisconsin and I'm stoked for your future endeavors. Rasta man, stay on the grind my man and be safe on the scooter please. Uncle Micah and Aunty Gwen, the both of you are really fun and inspiring to be around. Really can't thank you enough for all you've done for me. Extra mahalo nui loa for keeping me well fed! Bradda Brown, proud of you man. Take care of business and get you're ass back out thre!. Aunty Haili, my dakine Hawaiian is Ono because of you. Uncle David, thanks for showing the haole boy where the fish are at. Brotha Joel! No seriously, you were like a big brotha, Joel. Mahalo Stephanie for taking me up Mauna Kea and for lobster claws. Mahalo aina!

A Hui Hou "until we meet again"

-CDS

P.S. Shoots!

No comments:

Post a Comment