Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Halapē

"So Britton, what time are we waking up tomorrow?" I asked. "I'm setting my alarm for 2:45." "Fuck."
Another early wake up for what I knew would be a long day. We packed up the truck and headed into Volcano National Park to explore the southern side of the island. Little did I know, Hawaii is diverse enough to have a desert about an hour away from the lush vegetation in Hilo. Me and the boys took the weekend to traverse pahoehoe lava fields and camp at one of the most secluded spots on Big Island, Halapē.
A ten mile jaunt through the desert is minuscule in my mind. I can ride ten miles in an hour and...oh wait, I'm not on a bicycle and there is no support van anymore. So I'll have to walk this one, with enough water to last me 3 days and my dive gear to catch dinner. It wasn't the end if the world but let's just say the hike reinforced my dispassion for walking.
We set up camp under the few palm trees on the beach and said hello to the few other campers determined to hike into Halapē. I found a nice shady spot and passed out in the sand to wait out the mid day heat. Come evening, we fished. Uhu's, Kala, Menpachi, Kolē, and lobster. We had a mixed platter of good eats to cook up and we shared with our new found neighbors.
I was even more exhausted when I got home than when I left but to me, that's the sign of a good adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment