Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hike & Build

Though my bike is now in a box in Massachusetts and my nightly host locations are consistent, for some reason I just can't seem to put down the hammer.
Within my first week in Hawaii I got right to work helping my neighbor, Micah "Poi Dog" Miller and his wife Gwen put together their first official house.
My day would start with a refreshing commute (on foot) up the dirt road past the sweet potato field, cow pasture and an aromatic white ginger bush to get a good hit of nature before I joined the workforce. I'd meet up with my coworkers, David and Jerry in the kitchen and shoot the shit over a pot of Micah's delicious but surprisingly not-from-kona-coffee until Jerry made the first move towards the house.
It's exciting to see the progress made on a project I was involved in. Don't get me wrong, I'm more of a skilled laborer than a master carpenter but someone's gotta Sherpa materials around and fill nail holes! Bike and Build projects were exciting and we could definitely see progress being made in a day or two but I've really been able to sink my teeth into this project over the past few months and I was fortunate to work with guys that were willing to explain the processes and even the jargon/pidgin that put this place together.
I've got to send a mahalo nui loa out to uncle Micah and aunty Gwen not only for employing me but for being some of the friendliest and most hospitable people I have come across. It's inspiring to see an older couple have such passion for life, love and truth in the world. It's been wonderful getting to know you over the past six months and I'm honored to call both of you my friends.
It may be some time till the Miller house is christened as a home, but I know there will always be a place for me here.

A hui hou




No comments:

Post a Comment